All Those Flowers – 100 Years of Camden Garden Club
Established in 1915 by a group of likeminded women with an objective to develop and preserve the beauty in and around Camden, the Camden Garden Club’s commitment has remained steadfast. Between 1915 and 2015 the Camden Garden Club has
- planted more than 1,000 trees
- hung 4,500 flower baskets on lampposts since 1925
- hung more than 4,100 holiday wreaths
- designed and planted 32 gardens and parks
- awarded more than 100 scholarships since 1984
- hosted more than 500 special programs
- hosted 68 annual tours featuring more than 500 homes and gardens
- organized the Garden Club Federation of Maine in 1931 with four other clubs
On March 4, 2015, Camden Garden Club received a Legislative Sentiment from the Maine State Legislature in recognition of these accomplishments.
The Camden Garden Club held its first House and Garden Tour in 1948 with ten sites visited by about 500 people.The funds raised by these tours ensures that the Camden Garden Club will be able to continue in the spirit of the original founders all those years ago. Preparations for the 68th annual House and Garden Tour on July 16, 2015, are well underway. This major fundraising event has been the highlight of the summer season since it began in 1948, and this year ticket holders will be able to visit many of the homes and gardens that participated in that very first tour.
Today, The Camden Garden Club is the oldest Garden Club in Maine, and its annual garden tour has become so popular that many tourists plan their vacations around it. The club's goal of preserving and beautifying the public spaces of Camden continues with it's current members.
The Camden Garden Club is a proud member of the Garden Club Federation of Maine and National Garden Clubs, Inc. New members are always welcome!